Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 650SS – Drive Side Oil Leak

Forums
After fitting Thorspark electronic ignition and sorting out various electrical issues with the assistance of Al Osborn, I participated in the Jimmie Guthrie Memorial Run a couple of weeks ago.

Some 300 miles later, I had a significant oil leak on the drive side.

Removal of the primary chain case showed that a belt drive has been fitted.

I assumed that the crankshaft main seal was leaking as the chaincase should otherwise be dry.

Having removed the alternator and crank pulley the seal appears dry.

However, having removed the alternator basket thing, which is held on with 3nr countersunk socket head set screws, I find that the top and front holes in the crankcase appear to be blind holes, but the rear hole seems to be right through the crankcase - this may be the source of the leak.

Should these all be blind holes, or do I have an inappropriately modified case?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Alastair

hello Alister - as far as I remember all the screw holes for securing the three alternator carrier bracket and the inner primary chain-case to the drive-side crankcase are through holes.  I usually secure them with a touch of stud lock into a degreased thread.  Good luck , Howard

Thanks Howard

Not blind holes - just crank counterweights behind the hole position.

Tapped/ threaded holes for inner chaincase screws also pass through the crankcase. I assume that all these fasteners need thead locking/ sealing agent to prevent passage of oil from crankcase to chaincase?

Is there any other way for oil to get into the chaincase which is where the oil leakage seemed to be coming from?

Check that your crankcase pressure relief valve in the timing cover is working properly . They sometimes seem to seize up.  Howard

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans