Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 99 Magneto

Forums

Hi all, is the left hand pickup on the left side of the magneto looking from the drive side ? and does the left lead go to the drive or timing side of the cylinder head ?
Finally should I use suppressed plug caps or suppressed plugs, and if so what plugs would you recommend ?

Many thanks 

John 

You will have to take note of which cylinder is at top dead centre on the firing stroke both valves closed to then see which slip ring is visible Left or Right, this will ensure that all things being right the timing will give you the big bang on the correct plug at the optimum setting.
Suppression has no place on magneto systems.

Hi Paul, many thanks for your reply, at the moment the magneto isn't fitted but when it is I would like to have 'standard ' firing (left to drive side ? ). I was reading the Dominator Service Notes and it recommended suppression as to not upset our TV dependant neighbours, but if the mag needs to be non suppressed then let them suffer !

Many thanks 

John 

Nobody cares about TV interference.

If you want suppression, 5 kilo ohm in the plug or the plug cap won't affect spark on a properly functioning magneto.

Just a small point first.  The 1959 99 had coil ignition ex-works, not a magneto.  I have an original 1959 99.  As has been said, we have no need to use suppressed plug caps or leads nowadays.  Fat, copper-cored leads and plain plug caps all round!  Forget those silicone, carbon-cored leads!

© 2024 Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans